Google

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

My Response back to their Response

Hello:

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my email. I do greatly appreciate it. I apologize for my late response; my computer crashed this weekend. The coverage on all stations has improved in my opinion. I am hearing less of looting and more on the attempts to rescue people and get them adequate placement, schooling, etc. I do applaud those efforts.

My greatest concern with the looting was the millions of sensationalized negative impressions that are broadcasted worldwide of African-Americans. If you are a person of color, I am sure that you can understand how damaging this can be to the perception of one's race and individualism.

For example, several people I spoke to this weekend wanted to take in a family (when that time comes) but were afraid to do so because of these perceptions. Although, you will always have a few bad apples in every bunch, I do not think it is fair to those who do not participate in such activity to suffer the repercussions of others' poor choices.

I have been volunteering and speaking with victims all weekend, and I can truly say that the people I have come into contact with are sincerely grateful to be alive and for the help that is being provided in Dallas. One man that I spoke to said that he could not leave early because he was afraid he would lose his job. Me and you both probably have the luxury of taking vacation time, but some people are so dependent on their employers that they cannot afford to do so. I think the annual median household income in New Orleans was somewhere around $7,500. This leads me to believe that so many could not afford to go, even if they wanted to. I could be wrong, but this is my logic. I have really thought a lot of the untold stories that are out there and will possibly never be heard.

On any note, I think stories such as this one should surface to the general public because they have the potential to reveal a range of underlying issues that can explain what went wrong with authorities and civilians. In general, I believe that the media has the power to bring these stories to the masses so that we can place greater demands on our elected officials to change policy that will protect the lives of all citizens in times of crises. For example, perhaps there should be a law that would protect disaster victims from losing their jobs, healthcare benefits or even damaging to their credit reports because of such events. I hope that more news stations, such as NBC5i would be compelled to bring such stories to the public so that we will all be more socially responsible in the future.

The media is such a powerful force in our society, probably more than our government, in shaping the lives of people. I just wanted to let you know that. Again, thanks for you time and I wish you well in your future endeavors. If you have any questions for me, please feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Saki L. Milton

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog! I have added it to my list and will
check in often.

My site is about homeowners insurance OK, and you can
see it below if that interests you.

Best Wishes,
Ken
homeowners insurance OK

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Saki,

You sure do have a lot to say, I think that's great, especially when it can be articulated so well. It made me confused when I heard the media referring to those displaced by the hurricane as "refugees" as though they were aliens to this country. It's also really interesting to me that the politicians want to make it a democratic vs. repulican, black vs. white issue when it really is a human condition issue. Beyond that, this hurricane has really underscored the differences between the haves & the haves nots - and what do we do about that? Something needs to be done if like you say the median income is 7500, what can we do to help them to stand up and be productive for themselves...anyway ,I'm rambling. Just wanted to say I enjoyed your site. Keep writing, I'll keep reading.

Ro

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was searching for blogs that had Dallas, TX in them and came across yours. I live in Dallas and have a self defense school. I like the posts on your blog, so I've bookmarked it to stop back by periodically. Take care.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Paul Adams said...

Hi, Fellow!I like your blog!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a Weekly horoscope Aries
site. It pretty much covers Weekly horoscope Aries related subjects.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.adquity.com

Classifieds for our community. Buy, sell, trade, date, events... post anything. Adquity Classifieds.

http://www.adquity.com

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.adquity.com

Classifieds for our community. Buy, sell, trade, date, events... post anything. Adquity Classifieds.

http://www.adquity.com

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home